Salzburg is known as the city of Mozart and in my opinion, it’s the city of sacher torte too. At the Salzburg Christmas market you can experience both, listening to classical Mozart while wandering around the Christmas stalls and taking a break with a slice of rich sacher torte.
Salzburg Christmas Market 2019
Salzburg Christmas Market dates: 21st November to 26th December 2019.
Location: At the base of the famous Hohensalzburg fortress in Residenzplatz near Salzburg Cathedral.
Reason to visit: Hot chestnuts, chocolate gingerbread, the markets in the Mirabell Gardens, Austrian folk traditions.
Recommended tour: Salzburg Christmas tour. Drunk mulled wine as you discover Austrian Christmas traditions.
Where to stay: Motel One, a modern and excellent value hotel near the Mirabell Palace.
Winter events: Ice skating, skiing and Austrian food events.
Salzburg weather in winter: Temperatures average 4°C / -2°C (high / low) in December.
Plan your trip: Resources to plan your Christmas holiday or winter break.
Salzburg Christmas Market Specialities
Advent is an important time of the year in Salzburg with the Salzberger Christkindlmarkt being a traditional event since the 15th century. At the Salzburg Christmas market, you’ll find events and traditions unlike elsewhere in Europe.
- Salzburg Christkindlmarkt – The main Christmas market and festival at Residenzplatz.
- Hellbrunn Christmas Market – A family-friendly Advent market at Schloss Hellbrunn.
- St Leonhard Advent Market – A quiet market with authentic arts and crafts where the proceeds go to charity.
- Mirabell Palace Market – One of the most beautiful locations in Salzburg, the Mirabellplatz Christmas market focuses on unique products and local, traditional food.
- Folk Traditions – Parades feature the Austrian folk characters Krampus and Perchten.
- Salzburg Christmas Museum – A unique museum on Mozart Square specialising in all things Christmas.
For the latest on Christmas in Salzburg, visit the official Salzburg tourism website.
Map of Salzburg
If you have visited Salzburg in December or Christmas in Austria and would like to share your experience, leave a comment below.
This post contains affiliate links to hotels in Salzburg and recommended tours. This means we get a small commission from any bookings at no extra cost to you.