As the brisk winter chill envelops Melbourne, the city buzzes with a unique mid-year festivity – Christmas in July Melbourne.
The city pays homage to the warmth of the Christmas season in its characteristic cool vibe. Think delicious food markets, hearty Christmas-style dinners brimming with festive flavours, and an array of events that will kindle the Christmas spirit, long before the actual holiday rolls around.
Read on for the list of Christmas in July events taking place in Melbourne in 2023.
Christmas in July Melbourne 2023
Melbourne’s Christmas in July events start with the Queen Victoria Market’s Winter Night Festival. The best place in Melbourne for unique and diverse food options at the city’s most popular market.
Queen Victoria Market Christmas in July
The biggest Christmas in July event in Melbourne takes place at the Winter Night Market from early June until late August. There’s a huge list of food vendors and an opportunity for a bit of shopping too.
Christmas in July Melbourne dates: Every Wednesday, 7th June to 30th August 2023.
Location: Queen Victoria Market.
Opening times: 5 pm to 10 pm.
Admission: Free, no tickets required.
Vegetarian: Yes, plenty of options.
Vegan: Yes, plenty of options.
Gluten-free: Yes, some options.
Parking: Please take public transport to help limit congestion.
Reason to visit: A delcious night market at the historic Queen Victoria Market.
Recommended Melbourne tour: This walking tour is a great option for visitors to Melbourne.
Specialities: Gingerbread cookies, locally-made mince pies, Australian BBQ, and artisanal cheese, all at Melbourne’s Christmas market.
Where to stay: Veriu Queen Victoria Market is an excellent spot if you’re visiting Melbourne and want to be near the market and other Christmas in July events.
Location of the Winter Night Market
What to Expect
This video paints a picture of what you can expect at the Winter Night Market. It’ll give you a sense of the festive ambience, bustling activity and what to eat at the stalls.
Food at the Winter Night Market
- Wonderboa: Known for its delectable bao offerings, Wonderboa is a must-visit for those who love these fluffy, stuffed Asian buns.
- That’s Amore Cheese: Offering a selection of rich, creamy, and downright delicious Italian cheeses, That’s Amore Cheese is a must for dairy aficionados.
- The L’il Dumpling Van: Serving up delightful parcels of flavour, the L’il Dumpling Van is a popular choice for those in search of Asian-inspired cuisine.
- Inkredible Calamari: For seafood enthusiasts, Inkredible Calamari offers succulent calamari, perfect for a winter night’s snack.
- Bboy BBQ: Offering hearty, smoky, barbecued treats, Bboy BBQ is a haven for those craving some serious comfort food.
- Antagonist Spirits: Sip on a selection of crafted spirits at Antagonist Spirits. It’s the place to enjoy a warming winter tipple.
- Brick Lane Brewing Co: With a collection of local brews, Brick Lane Brewing Co is the destination for those wanting to sample a taste of Melbourne’s craft beer scene.
- Churro Kitchen: Serving up sweet, sugar-dusted churros, Churro Kitchen is the perfect spot to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Arancini Siciliani: Feast on these classic Italian rice balls at Arancini Siciliani, a true delight for fans of Italian cuisine.
- George the Fishmonger: Offering a selection of fresh seafood dishes, George the Fishmonger is a must-visit for those who prefer their food from the sea.
- Casa Nata: Indulge in a taste of Portugal with Casa Nata’s selection of delicious and authentic Portuguese tarts.
- The Happy Mexican: Get your Mexican cuisine fixed at the Happy Mexican, offering a range of traditional favourites from tacos to nachos.
- Dingo Ate My Taco: Another gem for Mexican cuisine lovers, Dingo Ate My Taco serves up a variety of delicious and flavour-packed tacos.
- Frencheese: Savour the rich, gooey melted raclette and other French cheese delicacies at Frencheese, a true treat for cheese lovers.
Christmas in July Events
Grazeland Christmas in July
Grazeland is an expansive outdoor venue that houses a plethora of food vendors, offering an impressive array of global cuisines and also features stages for live entertainment.
You can choose from loads of food providers, including stalls with plenty of of vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options.
Grazeland Christmas in July dates: Every weekend until 31st July 2023.
Location: 20 Booker Street, Spotswood.
Friday: 5pm to 10pm.
Saturday: Noon to 10pm.
Sunday: Noon to 9pm.
Admission: $4 for those aged 12 and over.
Location of Grazeland
The Firelight Festival returns to Docklands, filling three nights with dazzling light shows, fiery installations and pop-up winter delicacies.
Enjoy an array of fire-themed spectacles, including sculptures, flame jets, and performers, alongside the captivating ‘Harbour Lights’ laser display.
Satisfy your taste buds with Melbourne’s finest winter food and drink pop-ups, while enjoying live performances at five key locations.
Firelight Festival dates: 30th June to 2nd July 2023.
Opening times: Monday to Sunday: 5pm to 10:30pm.
Website: Firelight Festival.
More more Christmas in July events in Melbourne, the City of Melbourne has a great list of things to do.
Melbourne isn’t the only city packed with events this winter. Read my guide to the best of Christmas in July to find where to go.
If you would like to leave a review of one of the Christmas in July Melbourne events, comment below.
Recommendations are independently chosen based on personal travel experiences and extensive research. This post contains affiliate links to hotels and tours in Melbourne, Australia. This means I get a small commission from any bookings at no extra cost to you.