York is so much more than The Shambles, the famous cobblestone street lined with half-timbered houses. The city is filled with iconic attractions like York Minster, Clifford’s Tower and of course York Christmas market. The Christmas market in York is known as St Nicholas Fair and it’s returning in 2021, bringing the community together for a magical winter in York.
York Christmas Market 2021
Located in the heart of the city, you can experience the wonderful Christmas decorations along The Shambles to Parliament Street where the Christmas market begins. Enjoy the stalls and sample the Christmas food as you walk towards St Sampson’s Square that is lined with alpine-style chalets. Continuing a little further to Kings Square, you’ll find the beautiful vintage carousel, the perfect spot for those with a young family.
York Christmas market dates: 18th November to 23rd December 2021.
Opening hours: Friday and Saturday – 10am to 10pm. During the week the market closes at 6pm.
Location: Parliament Street and St Sampson’s Square.
Reason to visit: The festive atmosphere and historic Shambles Market location.
Specialities: International food court and the vintage carousel on Kings Square.
Hotels near York Christmas market: Galtres Lodge – a 2-minute walk to St Sampson’s Square or Hotel Indigo York – a 10-minute walk but one of the top boutique hotels in York.
Hotels near York Christmas Market
There are a limited number of highly reviewed hotels near York Christmas Market. We have created a guide detailing where to stay in York this holiday season to help you avoid disappointment.
Christmas Market Events and Specialties
- Christmas in Narnia – A Christmas event for children and families. Christmas lights, projections and a decorated Christmas tree at the Great Hall in Castle Howard.
- Christmas Afternoon Tea – a quiet afternoon tea event with specialty Christmas food. Located at Chez Mel Brasserie, sample Christmas cakes, savoury dishes and an optional glass of Prosecco.
- York’s Big Christmas Concert – A musical Christmas concert with traditional Christmas songs, carols and acoustic versions of popular Christmas music. Located at St Michael Le Belfry, Holy Trinity Church.
- Christmas Drinks – Enjoy a glass of spiced mulled wine as you walk around the Christmas markets or a warming hot toddy if you want something a little stronger.
York is one of the most popular and best Christmas markets in the UK. It makes our top 10!
Things to Do in York in Winter
There are many indoor winter attractions that complement the York Christmas market on St Sampsons Square.
- York Minister – Step out of the cold by taking in the historic interior of one of the most stunning cathedrals in the UK.
- National Railyway Museum – One of the most popular attractions in York.
- York Castle Museum
- Castle Howard
- York Art Gallery
- York Cocoa Works
If you’re visiting the Christmas markets in York in 2021, expect a resurgence of events and visits to attractions after the quiet time experienced over the last difficult period. If you are able to visit, I hope you experience a wonderful winter in York and return again whenever you can. For more things to do in York in winter or further details on the Christmas markets this December, visit the official tourist site, Visit York.
Map of Parliament Street and St Stephen’s Square
If you have any questions or comments about visiting York Xmas market or York at Christmas more generally, please leave a comment below. Please be sure to follow all government guidelines and restrictions while in York which may change at short notice.
This post contains affiliate links to hotels in York, UK. This means we get a small commission from any bookings at no extra cost to you.