York is so much more than The Shambles, the famous cobblestone street lined with half-timbered houses. The city is filled with iconic attractions like York Minster, Clifford’s Tower and of course York Christmas market.
The Christmas market in York is known as St Nicholas Fair and it’s returning in 2022, bringing the community together for a magical winter in York.
York Christmas Market 2022
Located in the heart of the city, you can experience the wonderful Christmas decorations along The Shambles to Parliament Street, where the Christmas market begins.
Enjoy the stalls and sample the Christmas food as you walk towards St Sampson’s Square, which is lined with alpine-style chalets.
Continuing a little further to Kings Square, you’ll find the beautiful vintage carousel, the perfect spot for those with a young family.
York Christmas market dates: 17th November to 23rd December 2022.
Opening times: 10am to 7pm.
Location: Parliament Street and St Sampson’s Square.
Reason to visit: The festive atmosphere and historic Shambles Market location.
Specialities: International food court and the vintage carousel on Kings Square.
Hotels near York Christmas Market
Galtres Lodge is a 2-minute walk to St Sampson’s Square making it the closest hotel to the markets. Alternatively, you might prefer Hotel Indigo York, which is a 10-minute walk but is one of the top boutique hotels in York.
I’ve published a guide detailing where to stay in York this holiday season to help you avoid disappointment. Hotels book out early as this is one of the most popular markets in the UK.
Read the guide to hotels near York Christmas Market for a list of where to stay.
Christmas Market Events and Specialties
- Christmas in Narnia – A Christmas event for children and families. Christmas lights, projections and a decorated Christmas tree at the Great Hall in Castle Howard.
- Christmas Afternoon Tea – a quiet afternoon tea event with specialty Christmas food. Located at Chez Mel Brasserie, sample Christmas cakes, savoury dishes and an optional glass of Prosecco.
- York’s Big Christmas Concert – A musical Christmas concert with traditional Christmas songs, carols and acoustic versions of popular Christmas music. Located at St Michael Le Belfry, Holy Trinity Church.
- Christmas Drinks – Enjoy a glass of spiced mulled wine as you walk around the Christmas markets or a warming hot toddy if you want something a little stronger.
- Chocolate Making Class – At York Cocoa Works you can learn to make chocolate bars, truffles or a Christmas cottage. This would make a great gift.
- Santa’s Post Box – Kids can post their letters to Santa at the post box in Museum Gardens.
York is one of the most popular Christmas markets in the UK. It makes my top 10!
Things to Do in York in Winter
There are many indoor winter attractions that complement the York Christmas market on St Sampsons Square.
- York Minister – Step out of the cold by taking in the historic interior of one of the most stunning cathedrals in the UK.
- National Railway Museum – One of the most popular attractions in York.
- York Castle Museum
- Castle Howard
- York Art Gallery
- York Cocoa Works – A fun, family-friendly location with chocolate-making classes.
If you’re visiting the Christmas markets in York in 2022, expect a resurgence of events and visits to attractions after the quiet time experienced over the last few years.
For more things to do in York in winter or further details on how to spend Christmas in York, visit the official tourist site, Visit York.
York Christmas Market Location
Sustainable Travel Tips
The choices we make have an environmental and social impact on the places we visit. When visiting the Christmas markets, keeping sustainability in mind is important.
Implement some or all of these simple measures to create a positive impact.
- Shop mindfully. Only purchase what you really need.
- Walk, cycle and use public transport to get around.
- Stay in a sustainable hotel powered by renewable energy.
- Stay in hotels. Short-stay apartment accommodation can lead to a lack of affordable housing for locals.
- Avoid using plastic or buying items made or packaged with plastic.
- Try to eat locally sourced organic food where possible.
- Limit your consumption of meat and dairy.
- Be open to diverse cultures and experiences.
- Explore more than just the main tourist areas.
- Support the arts and attend local events.
- Visit fewer places but stay longer at each destination.
York Christmas Markets starts on 17th November and ends on 23rd December 2022.
Parliament Street and St Sampson’s Square.
The Christmas market opens at 10am daily.
The Christmas market closes at 7pm daily.
The market runs for 37 days from 17th November until 23rd December 2022.
It is advised to cycle, walk or take public transport to the Christmas markets. The closest cycle parking is located at Davygate South and St Andrewgate. Car parking is available at Q-Park in the Shambles.
If you have any questions or comments about visiting York Xmas market or York at Christmas more generally, please leave a comment below.
Recommendations are independently chosen based on personal travel experiences and extensive research. This post contains affiliate links to hotels and tours in York, UK. This means I get a small commission from any bookings at no extra cost to you.
Does York Christmas Market open on a Sunday?
Yes, it does, from 10am to 7pm. I’ve updated the article for clarity.
is the Christmas market suitable for 2 elderly lady’s on mobility scooters and is there disabled parking near by me and my husband will be bringing our mothers
There are cobblestone streets but I think it should be fine for mobility scooters as the ground is generally quite flat. If you look at the Shambles on Google Maps, you’ll see some photos to get an idea of what the streets are like. You could park at Q-Park but it might be easier to drop them off before parking.
It’s chaos. My daughter is in a power chair. You won’t see much from a scooter. Be prepared to wait a long time and have a bumpy ride.
i am very interested in exhibiting at the xmas market 2023