Manchester Christmas markets are set to return in 2021 after last year’s cancellation. The Manchester market began in 1998 and has developed into one of the largest and most popular markets in the United Kingdom, attracting thousands of visitors each day over the festive period. It’s one of the best December events for both locals and visitors. If you are visiting from further afield, consider spending 3 or 4 nights in Manchester to experience the city’s sights, attractions and cultural events.
Manchester Christmas Markets 2021
The Christmas markets in Manchester typically take place in seven locations around the city. However, in 2021 the Albert Square Christmas Market will not be held due to refurbishment works at the Manchester Town Hall. It is confirmed this will be replaced by the Winter Gardens festival at Piccadilly Gardens.
Christmas Market Manchester dates: In general, the opening dates are from the 12th November to 22nd December 2021. The Winter Gardens Christmas market at Piccadilly Gardens and the Cathedral Gardens market will continue until the 3rd January 2022.
Note that all of the Christmas markets are closed on Christmas Day.
Opening times: This depends on the market but generally you’ll find the opening hours are from 10am to 8pm with the food stalls closing later at around 9pm.
Location: Piccadilly Gardens and 6 other locations listed below.
Reason to visit: Giant Santa and the Christmas light trail.
Specialities: Yorkshire pudding wraps, fried chicken, hot cookie dough, a gin bar and of course, gluhwein.
Travel tips: Each of the Christmas markets are within walking distance of each other. However, for those with mobility issues or if the weather is bad, you can take the free city bus that passes by most of the Christmas markets.
Hotels near Manchester Christmas Market: The 7 Manchester Christmas markets are located in a loop that covers the cultural centre of the city. In the centre of this loop is the BrewDog Doghouse Manchester, an amazing new hotel that features a cool design, in-room beer on tap and a special Christmas buffet menu in the restaurant. This is the first carbon negative hotel in Manchester and there are many other incredible features. Have a look and see for yourself.
While the markets are returning, there will be strict controls to ensure visitors remain at a safe distance and that overcrowding is avoided. Please follow all health and safety guidelines while you are there.
Christmas Markets Manchester
There are 7 Christmas markets in Manchester this year. Each has its own unique theme and atmosphere but you can find gifts, Christmas decorations, baubles, mulled wine and hot chocolate at each location.
- Piccadilly Gardens Christmas Market – Known as Winter Gardens, this is the main Christmas market in Manchester that will replace the Albert Square Christmas Market in 2021.
- Cathedral Gardens Christmas Market – Stays open until after the New Year. You’ll find a huge range of handmade craft stalls here. This is also the location of the Skate Manchester ice rink.
- Exchange Square – Look out for the famous Yorkshire pudding wraps at Porky Pig.
- New Cathedral Street – A great spot for vegan products and food as well as cocktails and gin.
- St Ann’s Square – Expect to find Christmas craft stalls, Northern Quarter’s Yard and Coop, Lakeland Burger Company and hand pulled pizzas.
- King Street – French themed Christmas stalls and the famous gin bar with 100 varieties of gin.
- Market Street – The place for local and regional artisan makers and traders.
- St Peter’s Square – This is not a Christmas market location, instead it’s where you’ll find the Giant Santa that will be illuminated from the 18th November.
Map of Manchester
If you have any questions or comments about visiting the Manchester Xmas market in 2021 or elsewhere in the UK this winter, please leave a comment below.
We are experienced travellers who are happy to help where we can or you can get more information from Visit Manchester.
To answer some common questions:
- When do the Christmas markets start in Manchester? Friday the 12th November 2021.
- When do the Manchester Christmas markets finish? Most markets close on the 22nd December but the Piccadilly and Cathedral Gardens continue until the 3rd January 2022.
- What time do Manchester Christmas markets close? It varies but generally at around 8pm and slightly later for the food and drink stalls.
- Where are the Christmas markets in Manchester? The main Christmas market is at Piccadilly Gardens.
- Can I go ice skating this year? Yes, the Skate Manchester ice rink at Cathedral Gardens is open from the 1st November until the 3rd January.
Manchester Christmas Market Review
Reviews assist people who are thinking about or planning on visiting the Christmas markets in Manchester, especially first time travellers. If you would like to leave a review after your visit, you’re welcome to do so in the comment section below. We appreciate you taking the time to do this if you can.
Please be sure to follow all government travel guidelines and restrictions while in the United Kingdom. Be aware these may change at short notice so please continue to monitor the situation. The latest information for travellers is published by the UK Government.
This post contains affiliate links to tours and hotels in Manchester, England, UK. This means we get a small commission from any bookings at no extra cost to you.