Situated on the banks of the Rhine River, Basel is a walkable city with open spaces, historic squares and many museums. It’s considered to be the cultural capital of Switzerland and winter is a wonderful time of the year to visit.
In this guide, I list a range of hotels near Basel Christmas Market to help with planning your Christmas break.
Hotels near Basel Christmas Market
Basel Christmas Market is held in two locations in Altstadt Grossbasel (the Old Town in Basel).
Barfüsserplatz is the central hub of the city, a bustling square that is surrounded by narrow laneways with shops and places to eat.
Münsterplatz is located in front of Basel Cathedral and is one of the oldest squares in Basel. You could also consider staying on the other side of the river around Claraplatz, a popular area of the city.
Top PickArt House Basel
Address: Steinenvorstadt 42, Vorstädte, Basel, Switzerland
Art House Hotel is the best of the boutique hotels in Basel. The location is excellent for a short break in the historic centre and is only a 3-minute walk to Basel Christmas Market in Barfüsserplatz. Münsterplatz and Basel Cathedral are 10 minutes away. The rooms are bright with light coloured timber throughout and the common areas have a fun, modern design. There are many restaurants in this area of Basel as well as a number of popular museums. This hotel is also near the train station, making it an ideal location if you’re arriving by train. Considering that Switzerland is generally very expensive, this hotel is excellent value for money.Check Availability
Location of Art House Basel
Sustainable Hotel in Basel
Address: Steinengraben 51, Vorstädte, Basel
Located 300 metres from Barfüsserplatz, this is a great hotel near Basel Christmas Market as well as the other main sights and attractions in Basel. The hotel has spacious modern rooms with timber floorboards, a comfortable bed and lovely, bright bathrooms. This very comfortable hotel includes a sauna and gym that you can enjoy after a day of sightseeing. This is one of the most sustainable hotels in Basel, as they generate 100% of their electricity from renewables.
Budget Hotel in Basel
Motel One Basel
Address: Barfüssergasse 16, Old Town Grossbasel, Basel
Not only is Motel One the best budget hotel in Basel, but it’s also the best located near the Christmas markets. The hotel entrance opens onto Barfüsserplatz, and the other Christmas market in Basel is only a short walk away. Motel One is a chain hotel known for its contemporary design, cleanliness and helpful staff.
Apartment in Basel
AVLiving City Loft
Address: Lautengartenstrasse 9, Vorstädte, Basel, Switzerland
If you would like to stay in an apartment in Basel, I recommend AVLiving, a large one-bedroom apartment with a balcony and city views. The apartment is less than 10 minutes from the Christmas markets and close to the Rhine and other open spaces. The apartment is thoughtfully styled with quality furniture and high-end amenities. The host is known to be welcoming and helpful. This apartment also uses 100% renewable electricity sources.
Hotel in Old Town Kleinbasel
Address: Rheingasse 19, Old Town Kleinbasel
On the other side of the Rhine River is the Old Town of Kleinbasel, the smaller old town in Basel that is based around Claraplatz. This is where you’ll find the small design hotel Consum Residence near the Christmas market at Münsterplatz. It’s only a short walk away across the historic stone Middle Bridge. Alternatively, you could take the Muenster Ferry to Muenster Jetty. While you’re here, stop at the Pfalz observation deck for the views. The rooms at Consum Residence are bright with a minimalist design and streamlined furniture. There is plenty to see on this side of the Rhine. Highly recommended.
Luxury Hotel in Basel
Hotel Märthof Basel
Address: Marktgasse 19, Old Town Grossbasel
Hotel Märthof Basel is one of Basel’s best luxury hotels. You’ll find spacious luxury rooms, exceptional service, a great gym and wellness area an excellent Old Town location near the Christmas market. The beautiful, historic building tops it off. The hotel is highly rated and almost all visitors comment on the exceptional breakfast. Although this is a luxury hotel, it’s not as expensive as you might think. Well worth checking out.
Location of Hotel Märthof Basel
For more information on spending Christmas in Switzerland, read our complete guide to Basel Christmas Market that includes dates, locations, opening times, things to do in winter and Swiss specialties you might like to try.
This is part of my series on the best Swiss Christmas markets. Read the complete guide for more information.
Responsible Travel Tips
Many of us are increasingly concerned about climate change and sustainability. Here are a few ideas on how we can travel more responsibly in Basel.
- Choose a hotel that prioritises renewable energy: Look for hotels in Basel that actively promote their use of renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power. This ensures that your stay has a reduced impact on the environment.
- Minimise food waste: When dining out, be mindful of portion sizes and only order what you can finish. Consider choosing eateries in Basel that commit to reducing food waste by implementing practices like offering smaller portions or donating excess food to local charities. Also, explore local markets and shops that offer unpackaged or bulk food options to reduce packaging waste.
- Embrace sustainable diets: Look for restaurants or cafes in Basel that prioritise locally sourced, seasonal ingredients. By choosing to eat meals made with local produce, you support regional farmers and reduce the carbon footprint associated with transporting food long distances. Additionally, consider exploring vegetarian or vegan eateries that offer plant-based options, as these diets have a lower environmental impact.
- Use sustainable transport options: Take advantage of Basel’s well-connected public transportation system, including trams and buses, which are efficient and eco-friendly. Additionally, consider renting a bicycle to explore the city, as Basel has a well-developed cycling infrastructure. By opting for public transport or cycling, you minimise the use of private vehicles and reduce air pollution.
- Avoid unnecessary flights: If possible, consider alternative modes of transportation when travelling to Basel. Opt for train or bus journeys, which have a lower carbon footprint compared to air travel. Additionally, if you’re already in Europe, explore the option of taking a scenic train ride to Basel, enjoying the picturesque landscapes along the way.
- Support the local community: Engage with the local community in Basel by shopping at independent stores, dining at local eateries and participating in locally organised tours or events. By supporting local businesses and initiatives, you contribute to the local economy and foster a sense of community sustainability.
Recommendations are independently chosen based on personal travel experiences and extensive research. This post contains affiliate links to hotels in Basel, Switzerland. This means I get a small commission from any bookings at no extra cost to you.
Thank you so much. Your information was very helpful. I have heard that there are no Christmas Markets for December 2023. Is this true
What other 4-5 star Hotels would you recommend?