Stockholm is an incredibly beautiful city made of many different islands, bridges, canals, palaces, museums, green open spaces and so much more. If you have never been to Stockholm, searching for hotels can be a little overwhelming.
In this guide, I simplify the process of figuring out where to stay by listing the best hotels near Stockholm Christmas Market in the city’s historic centre.
Hotels near Stockholm Christmas Market
The main Stockholm Christmas Market is held at Stortorget (Grand Square in English), the centre square in Gamla Stan. This is the historic old town of Stockholm.
Stortorget is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Stockholm and is known for its colourful buildings as well as the events and performances held in the square.
If you would like to stay near Gamla Stan and Stortorget, there are quite a few hotels in the area, but you might find better value for money alternatives in the neighbouring areas.
Gamla Stan can also be quite touristy. Of course, it’s popular for a reason, but if you would prefer to stay in a slightly quieter area, there are many options that are still close to places of interest.
Top PickHotel At Six
Address: Brunkebergstorg 6, Norrmalm, Stockholm, Sweden
You’ll find a number of beautiful design hotels in Stockholm including Hotel At Six, a boutique hotel that features dark and moody modern Swedish design. Stunning, high-end finishes, quality amenities and excellent breakfast are highlights. Located in Norrmalm, one of the busiest commercial districts in Stockholm, you’ll also find opera, ballet, art galleries and museums in this area. Ideally located for a short stay, Hotel At Six is near Stockholm Christmas Market via a 10-minute walk through historic streets and parks.Check Availability
Location of At Six Hotel
Hotels near Gamla Stan
This option may be the next best choice if you’re looking for hotels near Gamla Stan in Stockholm. It provides a convenient location close to the historic district, as well as comfortable accommodations and a range of amenities to make your stay enjoyable.
Address: Mariatorget 3, Södermalm, Stockholm
Hotel Rival is a popular boutique hotel located in the heart of leafy Södermalm near many of the city’s excellent cafes and bars. The colourful decor, comfortable beds and large windows create a light and fresh vibe. Set in an Art Deco building by Mariatorget Square, the hotel is in a convenient location only 15 minutes from Gamla Stan. Rival is an excellent hotel if you want to be within walking distance of the Christmas markets.
Boutique Hotel in Stockholm
If you’re looking for a more personalised and unique experience during your stay in Stockholm, consider booking a stay in a boutique hotel near the Christmas markets in the Östermalm district.
Boutique hotels are known for their charm, attention to detail, and personalised service, offering a more intimate and upscale experience than larger chain hotels.
Additionally, staying in the Östermalm district will put you in close proximity to many of the city’s most popular Christmas markets, allowing you to fully immerse yourself in the festive spirit of the season.
Story Hotel Riddargatan
Address: Riddargatan 6, Östermalm, Stockholm
Story Hotel is another excellent boutique hotel, in this case, in the elegant Östermalm district. Östermalm is known for its high-end bars, restaurants and designer stores. Be sure to visit Saluhall, a food market known for traditional Swedish specialties like gravlax and smoked shrimp. The rooms are beautifully designed with rustic features and eclectic artwork. The hotel has a young vibe that suits the neighbourhood.
Apartment in Gamla Stan
If you’re considering a short-term apartment stay in Gamla Stan, the following is an excellent option. This can be a great way to experience the historic district as a local, with the convenience of having your own space and amenities. It’s also a good option if you’re travelling as a family or with friends.
Executive Living Old Town Unique
Address: Prästgatan 38, Gamla Stan, Stockholm
If you would prefer to stay in an apartment in Stockholm, Executive Living Old Town apartments are the most highly rated in Gamla Stan and are located less than 50 metres from Stortorget. The apartments are within a 17th-century building and have plenty of space for preparing meals if you would like to do so. The large 2-bedroom apartment sleeps up to 4 adults and 2 children, so this is an affordable option for groups and families. The apartment uses 100% renewable electricity and they don’t use single-use plastic.
Cheap Hotels in Stockholm
If you’re looking for affordable places to stay in Stockholm, consider staying in a budget hotel in the Södermalm district. This vibrant neighbourhood offers a range of budget-friendly options, with easy access to the city’s many sights and attractions.
Address: Hornsgatan 66B, Södermalm, Stockholm
Stockholm can be a very expensive place to visit and good quality budget hotels can be difficult to find. Hotel Hornsgatan is one of the best cheap hotels in Stockholm. Located in Södermalm, a large island that has a relaxed, creative vibe, with hipster shops, eclectic cafes and the wonderful Fotografiska gallery. There are many great coffee and brunch spots in this area of the city. The rooms are basic yet clean, but be aware that some rooms share a bathroom. The Christmas markets are a short walk away, but you’ll also find public transport at your door.
For more information on visiting Stockholm at Christmas, read our detailed guide to Stockholm Christmas Market that includes dates, times, locations, things to do in winter and Swedish Christmas food.
Unfortunately, things can and do go wrong when you travel. World Nomads offers coverage for more than 150 activities as well as emergency medical, lost luggage, trip cancellation and more.
World Nomads provides travel insurance for travellers in over 100 countries. As an affiliate, we receive a fee when you get a quote from World Nomads using this link. We do not represent World Nomads. This is information only and not a recommendation to buy travel insurance.
Where to Stay in Stockholm
If you want to be near the Christmas market in Gamla Stan, consider staying in either Gamla Stan itself or in the nearby Södermalm district.
Where to stay in Stockholm depends on many factors, but here’s an overview of the different neighbourhoods.
- Gamla Stan: As mentioned earlier, Gamla Stan is the best area to stay in if you want to be close to the Christmas market. This neighbourhood is the historic heart of Stockholm, with narrow cobblestone streets, colourful buildings, and plenty of restaurants and cafes. Gamla Stan is also home to many of the city’s top attractions, such as the Royal Palace and the Nobel Museum.
- Östermalm: This upscale neighbourhood is known for its high-end shopping, trendy restaurants, and art galleries. It’s a great area to stay in if you’re looking for a boutique hotel or luxury accommodations, and it’s still within walking distance of Gamla Stan.
- Södermalm: This neighbourhood is a bit more bohemian and laid-back than Östermalm, but it still offers plenty of restaurants, bars, and shops. Södermalm is a popular choice for budget travellers, as there are many affordable hotels and hostels in the area.
- Norrmalm: This is the central business district of Stockholm, with many shops, restaurants, and nightlife options. It’s a convenient area to stay in if you’re interested in exploring the city’s commercial centre, but it’s a bit farther from Gamla Stan than the other neighbourhoods mentioned.
Overall, the best area to stay in depends on your budget and preferences. Gamla Stan is the most convenient if you want to be close to the Christmas market, but Östermalm, Södermalm, and Norrmalm are also good options.
Many of us are increasingly concerned about climate change and sustainability. Here are a few tips on how we can travel more responsibly in Stockholm at Christmas.
- Look for hotels that have a sustainability certification or eco-label, such as the Nordic Swan Ecolabel or the Green Key certification.
- Choose accommodation that uses renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power. There are a few sustainable hotels in Stockholm that use renewables.
- Opt for hotels that have implemented energy-efficient practices, such as LED lighting or low-flow showerheads.
- Consider staying in accommodations that have implemented waste reduction practices, such as recycling or composting programs.
- Choose accommodations that support the local economy, such as locally owned and operated hotels or those that source their food and supplies locally.
- Look for accommodations that have implemented sustainable transport practices, such as offering bike rentals or being located near public transportation options.
- Consider staying in accommodations that have implemented sustainable food practices, such as offering organic, locally sourced or plant-based meals.
By choosing accommodations that prioritise sustainability, you can travel more responsibly and minimise your impact on the environment while supporting local businesses and communities.
Stockholm is a wonderful destination to visit during the winter months, especially during the Christmas period.
Despite the colder weather, there are plenty of indoor activities to enjoy, such as visiting museums, galleries, and exhibitions.
The city also has a festive atmosphere with beautiful Christmas markets, decorations, and lights.
With some preparation and planning, you can make the most out of your visit to Stockholm during Christmas and winter and experience the city’s charm and beauty during this special time of the year.
Recommendations are independently chosen based on personal travel experiences and extensive research. This post contains affiliate links to hotels in Stockholm, Sweden. This means I get a small commission from any bookings at no extra cost to you.