If you’re interested in sustainable travel during Christmas and want to avoid the mass consumerism common at more visited destinations, the Ljubljana Christmas Market is easily the best choice in Europe.
Slovenia is one of the most eco-friendly destinations all year round and in December the city focuses on supporting small, local businesses, zero waste products and organic Slovenian cuisine.
Ljubljana Christmas Market 2022
Christmas in Ljubljana in 2022 will include Christmas trees and other Christmas decorations and lights around the city centre with the main Christmas market taking place in Prešeren Square on the river.
Ljubljana Christmas Market dates: 25th November 2022 to 2nd January 2023.
Opening times: TBA
Location: Prešeren Square, along the Ljubljanica River embankment and four other locations.
Reason to visit: One of the prettiest capitals in Europe. Strong focus on sustainability.
Specialties: Sustainable travel and products. Clothes by Slovenian designers.
Travel tip: Include a day trip to Lake Bled.
Winter events: Free music concerts. The Magical Forest.
Ljubljana weather in winter: Temperatures average 4°C / -2°C (high / low) in December.
Where to stay: Hotel Cubo in Ljubljana or find a Christmas hotels elseshwere in Slovenia.
Hotels near Ljubljana Christmas Market
The Christmas markets in Ljubljana are located in Prešeren Square and along the Ljubljanica river. You can also find some festivities nearby in Congress Square (Kongresni Trg). I spent several months in Ljubljana and this area is by far the nicest neighbourhood to stay in.
This is why I recommend Hotel Cubo as it’s very close to all the Christmas markets and other attractions in Ljubljana.
If this doesn’t suit you, my guide to hotels near Ljubljana Christmas Market lists all the places I recommend.
Ljubljana Christmas Market Specialities
Ljubljana, and Slovenia in general, is one of the most sustainable travel destinations in the world and this is reflected in the Christmas markets in Ljubljana.
- The Land of Ice – A Christmas event showcasing ice and snow sculptures by Slovenian and international artists.
- Magical Forest – Includes creative workshops where you can learn to make your own eco-friendly Christmas decorations.
- Organ Grinders – A familiar sight around the streets of Ljubljana over the winter months.
- Free Music Concerts – Held in Novi Square from the 14th to 25th December. There are other free concerts in Ljubljana too.
- Honey Schnapps – Delicious but strong. A Slovenian classic.
- Christmas Decorations – Unique abstract Christmas lights and decorations line the streets of Ljubljana at Christmas.
Things to Do in Ljubljana in Winter
For a small city, Ljubljana has plenty to offer from incredible food, stunning castles and pristine nature.
Start with the most popular things to do in Ljubljana and then venture out for a day trip to Lake Bled and the mountains.
In the evenings, enjoy the atmosphere of the Ljubljana Christmas markets and Slovenian seasonal cuisine.
- Ljubljana Castle – The modern funicular is the quickest way to reach Ljubljana Castle and its wonderful views of the city and the mountains in the distance.
- Ljubljana Dragon – The symbol of Ljubljana is the fiery green dragon. You’ll see dragons everywhere but the best dragons guard the popular Dragon Bridge.
- Triple Bridge – Three bridges cross the Ljubljanica River at Preseren Square in the historic centre of the city. It’s the hub of the old town, bustling with buskers, food carts and visitors enjoying the view. The bridge was designed by Slovenia’s most famous architect, Jože Plečnik.
- The Central Market – Also designed by Jože Plečnik, the Central Market is the home of Ljubljana’s best fresh food and organic products. It’s the perfect place to pick up picnic supplies if you’re heading out on a day trip.
- Preseren Square – The main centre square in Ljubljana, unmissable for the pink Franciscan Church which dominates the square. This is the location of Ljubljana’s main Christmas market.
- Ljubljana Town Hall – The baroque Town Hall is central to one of Ljubljana’s most picturesque streets, lined with pastel-coloured buildings and baroque fountains.
- Tivoli Park – If the weather is sunny, take a walk through Tivoli Park to see the outdoor photography exhibition and green open space.
- Art Nouveau Ljubljana – In the historic centre of Ljubljana you’ll spot a number of impressive art nouveau buildings including Hauptmann House in Preseren Square, bold Vernik House and Urbanc House, the location of Ljbuljana’s high-end department store.
Visit Ljubljana has more information on things to do in Ljubljana in December including a list of free events and festivals.
Location of Ljubljana Christmas Market
Sustainable Travel Tips
The choices we make have an environmental and social impact on the places we visit. When visiting the Christmas markets, it’s important to keep sustainability in mind.
Implement some or all of these responsible travel measures during your visit.
- Shop mindfully. Only purchase what you really need.
- Walk, cycle and use public transport to get around.
- Stay in a sustainable hotel powered by renewable energy.
- Stay in hotels. Short-stay apartment accommodation can lead to a lack of affordable housing for locals.
- Avoid using plastic or buying items made or packaged with plastic.
- Try to eat locally sourced organic food where possible.
- Limit your consumption of meat and dairy.
- Be open to diverse cultures and experiences.
- Explore more than just the main tourist areas.
- Support the arts and attend local events.
- Visit fewer places but stay longer at each destination.
Yes! Ljubljana is one of the most festive destinations in Europe.
25th November 2022 to 2nd January 2023.
If you have visited Ljubljana in winter or would like to leave a review of the Christmas market, feel free to comment below. This helps others who are interested in visiting and are trying to plan their holiday.
Recommendations are independently chosen based on personal travel experiences and extensive research. This post contains affiliate links to hotels and tours in Ljubljana, Slovenia. This means I get a small commission from any bookings at no extra cost to you.