You might be surprised to learn that Amsterdam is one of the most festive Christmas cities in Europe. The Amsterdam Christmas Market isn’t just one market, there are actually more than 12 Christmas markets in Amsterdam and the surrounding region. This guide will help you plan your Christmas trip to Amsterdam with details on where to go, dates, locations and what to expect.
Amsterdam is one of the greatest city break destinations in Europe. It’s a fantastic place to visit all year round but Amsterdam at Christmas and over the holiday period is especially fun, warm and welcoming.
Amsterdam Christmas Market 2022
There are several Christmas markets in Amsterdam with some neighbourhoods putting on their own events and celebrations. I’ve listed these in order of the best for visitors to Amsterdam.
1. Ice Village Amsterdam
The Ice Village is one of the most traditional Christmas markets in Amsterdam. It’s located on the very beautiful Museumplein, near the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Stedelijk Museum and other smaller museums.
Christmas chalets surround an outdoor ice skating rink and trees in the park are adorned with beautiful fairy lights. There is great food available and traditional drinks like mulled wine, hot cider and hot chocolate.
Ice Village Amsterdam: The best Christmas market in Amsterdam.
Ice Village Christmas Market dates: 12th November 2022 to 5th February 2023.
Opening times: 11am to 8pm. On the 24th and 25th December the market closes at 5pm.
Reason to visit: The ice skating rink will be open from the 12th November 2022 at Museumplein.
Hotels near Amsterdam Christmas Market
Amsterdam is a compact, walkable city made up of distinct districts that are ringed by several canals. If you find walking difficult, cycling is accessible for many people and the city has an excellent, affordable public transport system.
Staying in one of these central districts, from Amsterdam Centraal Station to the Jordaan district and across to the Museum Quarter (Museumkwartier) would be convenient for the Christmas markets and other sights in Amsterdam.
I suggest staying at Hotel V Nesplein, a boutique hotel located close to Dam Square and the Royal Palace. It’s halfway between Amsterdam Centraal Station and the Museum Quarter.
Alternatively, my guide to hotels near Amsterdam Christmas Market lists several other hotels that covers all budgets.
Location of Ice Village Amsterdam
2. Amsterdam Christmas Market at Westergas
Known as De Amsterdamsche Kerstmarkt, this is a popular new Christmas event in Amsterdam. It’s held over 4 days in late December.
Amsterdam Christmas Market dates: 20th to 23rd December 2022.
Opening times: TBA
Reason to visit: Ice rink near the historic factory buildings. Live music, food trucks and a film program.
Travel tips: Westergas is an interesting cultural centre with lots of activities. Have a look around even outside of the Christmas period.
Where to stay: Mr Jordaan is relatively close to Westergas (you might need to take the tram) while also being a great area to stay for general sightseeing, places to explore and eating out in Amsterdam.
Location of Amsterdam Christmas Market
3. Amsterdam Winter Paradise
Winter Paradise is one of the big regional Christmas markets. It’s a kind of ‘Winter Wonderland’ that takes place at RAI Amsterdam, the city’s big exhibition centre.
Amsterdam Winter Paradise dates: 18th December 2022 to 3rd January 2023.
Opening times: TBA
Location: RAI Amsterdam Exhibition Centre.
Reason to visit: The indoor and outdoor ice skating and the giant Ferris wheel.
Travel tips: This is a little further out from the city centre so you would need to the the metro to RAI station.
Location of Amsterdam Winter Paradise
4. Funky Xmas Market
The Funky Xmas Market is a one day Christmas market held as a special edition of the weekly Sunday Market at Westergas.
My full guide to the Funky Xmas Market has more details and what to expect with a funky Christmas experience.
Funky Xmas Market: A special Christmas event at Westergas Sunday Market.
Funky Xmas Market dates: 18th December 2022.
Opening times: 12 noon to 6pm.
Location: Westergas at Westerpark.
Reason to visit: A special event popular with locals. There are lots of cultural events, food trucks and handmade Christmas presents.
Christmas Markets in The Netherlands
If you’re interested in other Christmas markets in the Netherlands, there are several accessible on a day trip from Amsterdam. Or if you have the time, spend a couple of nights exploring these destinations.
- The Royal Christmas Fair – The Hague, an hour by train from Amsterdam Central. Location: Lange Voorhout. Dates: 8th to 23rd December 2022. Opens from 12 noon to 9pm.
- Winter Village – Amstelveen, just south of Amsterdam. Location: Winkelcentrum Stadshart. Dates: Starts Saturday 3rd December 2022.
- Vreeland Christmas Market – Vreeland, 90 minutes by train from Amsterdam towards Utrecht. Returning in 2022.
- Castle Christmas Fair – Located in Heemskerk, North Holland, 90 minutes northeast of Amsterdam. Location: Slot Assumburg, Beeckestijn Estate. Dates: 17th to 20th November 2022. Tickets are available at the door but it’s advised to purchase online before you go.
- Haarlem Christmas Market – Haarlem, 1 hour from Amsterdam. One of the largest Christmas markets in the Netherlands. Location: Grote Markt, Haarlem. Dates: 9th to 11th December 2022.
- Country & Christmas Fair – Kasteel de Haar, Utrecht.
- Light Night Edam
- Alkmaar Christmas Market
- Leiden Christmas Market – Winter Wonder Weken – Visit the House of Sinterklaas and the Floating Ice Rink.
Sustainable Travel Tips
The choices we make have an environmental and social impact on the places we visit. When visiting the Christmas markets, it’s important to keep sustainability in mind.
Implement some or all of these simple measures to create a positive impact.
- Shop mindfully. Only purchase what you really need.
- Walk, cycle and use public transport to get around.
- Stay in a sustainable hotel powered by renewable energy.
- Stay in hotels. Short-stay apartment accommodation can lead to a lack of affordable housing for locals.
- Avoid using plastic or buying items made or packaged with plastic.
- Try to eat locally sourced organic food where possible.
- Limit your consumption of meat and dairy.
- Be open to diverse cultures and experiences.
- Explore more than just the main tourist areas.
- Support the arts and attend local events.
- Visit fewer places but stay longer at each destination.
Amsterdam’s Ice Village Christmas Market starts on the 12th November 2022 and continues until the 5th February 2023.
Amsterdam’s Ice Village Christmas Market is held at Museumplein while other events are located at Westergas and RAI Amsterdam.
I was fortunate to spend one Christmas in Amsterdam when it snowed and the canals froze over. It was an incredible festive experience I’ll never forget. I highly recommend visiting at Christmas if you can.
If you have any questions or comments about visiting Amsterdam in winter or specifically visiting the Amsterdam Xmas market in 2022, please leave a comment or review below.
The latest information for locals and travellers is published by iAmsterdam, the city’s local tourism board.
Recommendations are independently chosen based on personal travel experiences and extensive research. This post contains affiliate links to hotels and tours in Amsterdam, Netherlands. This means I get a small commission from any bookings at no extra cost to you.