If you happen to be planning a trip to Bremen this December, it’s worth making time to attend the biggest festive event and cultural highlight of the year, the Bremen Christmas market.
I used to feel like the better German Christmas markets were the bigger and more well-known ones like Nuremberg and Munich. But Bremen has one of the finest Christmas markets and decorated squares in Germany.
Bremen Christmas Market 2022
The entire old town of Breman is compact and walkable for those able and I encourage you to explore the city’s pedestrian streets where you’ll find boutique stores, cafes and beautiful decorations as well as the Christmas markets.
Bremen Christmas Market dates: 21st November to 23rd December 2022.
Opening times: 10am (11am on Sundays) to 8:30pm (9pm on Fridays and Saturdays).
Location: Market Square (Bremer Marktplatz) in the centre of the historic old town.
Reason to visit: The location in Bremen’s beautiful Hanseatic era main square. Fewer crowds than elsewhere.
Specialties: Freshly baked bread, smoked fish, scented candles and the decorated riverside promenade.
Travel tip: Visit the winter village at Schlachthof for fair trade and vegan food.
Recommended tour: Bremen Christmas Market tour. A tour of the historic streets and market stalls by a local guide.
Winter events: Go ice skating on Sedanplatz.
Plan your trip: Resources to plan your Christmas holiday or winter break.
Bremen weather in winter: Temperatures average 5°C / 0°C (high / low) in December.
Where to stay: H+ Hotel for its location and cute decor depicting the history and sights of Bremen.
Hotels Near Bremen Christmas Market
The Christmas market in Bremen is held in Market Square and I suggest staying in this central area. This is where you’ll find the Town Hall and the famous Roland Statue, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
I suggest staying at H+ Hotel for its location in the Old Town and its cute decor depicting the history and sights of Bremen.
If this doesn’t suit you, there are several excellent, highly-rated hotels near Bremen Christmas market that I recommend.
Things to Do in Bremen in Winter
Bremen has a number of Christmas markets open in November and December.
- Market Square – The historic location of the main Christmas market with Hanseatic buildings and the World Heritage-listed Roland statue.
- Bremen Embankment – Festival events and decorative stalls light up the river promenade in winter.
- Lloyd Passage – A Scandinavian Christmas market in Bremen.
- Neustadt – Christmas lights, art and culture.
Other things to do in Bremen in winter:
- Bremen Town Musicians – Bremen’s four fairytale animals are known around the world. See the famous statue in front of the State Parliament building and visit the donkey’s grave on Böttcherstrasse.
- Gothic Town Hall and Roland Statue – World Heritage-listed cultural sights in the centre of Bremen.
- Schnoor Quarter – The pretty, narrow cobblestone streets away from the grand square is home to little shops and cafes.
- Böttcherstrasse – An artistic street with restaurants, cafes, museums, artisan shops and the famous Meissen porcelain bells.
Further details on Christmas events will be shared in the coming weeks as the opening of the Bremen Xmas market approaches.
Bremen tourism has information regarding events and the best ways to experience Bremen at Christmas.
Location of Bremen Christmas Market
Germany is famous for its Christmas markets. Read this guide to find where else to go in Germany.
Sustainable Travel Tips
The choices we make have an environmental and social impact on the places we visit. When visiting the Christmas markets, it’s important to keep sustainability in mind.
Implement some or all of these responsible travel measures during your visit.
- Shop mindfully. Only purchase what you really need.
- Walk, cycle and use public transport to get around.
- Stay in a sustainable hotel powered by renewable energy.
- Stay in hotels. Short-stay apartment accommodation can lead to a lack of affordable housing for locals.
- Avoid using plastic or buying items made or packaged with plastic.
- Try to eat locally sourced organic food where possible.
- Limit your consumption of meat and dairy.
- Be open to diverse cultures and experiences.
- Explore more than just the main tourist areas.
- Support the arts and attend local events.
- Visit fewer places but stay longer at each destination.
21st November to 23rd December 2022.
Market Square (Bremer Marktplatz) in the centre of the historic old town.
The Christmas market opens at 10am daily except for Sundays when it opens at 11am.
The Christmas market closes at 8:30pm daily except on Fridays and Saturdays when it closes at 9pm.
If you have visited Bremen in winter or would like to leave a review of the Christmas market, feel free to comment below. This helps others who are interested in visiting and are trying to plan their holiday.
Recommendations are independently chosen based on personal travel experiences and extensive research. This post contains affiliate links to hotels and tours in Bremen, Germany. This means I get a small commission from any bookings at no extra cost to you.
Leave a Reply