Popular with visitors from neighbouring countries along with Austrian locals, Innsbruck is compact, festive and wonderful. If you don’t know much about Innsbruck, the city runs alongside the emerald-coloured River Inn and is surrounded by spectacular mountains on all sides. It’s known for its city skiing where locals famously go for a ski before work or during their lunch break.
You’ll find many neighbourhood Christmas markets in Innsbruck, as is the case throughout Austria, but Innsbruck is particularly worth visiting for the two main markets and the stunning alpine scenery.
Innsbruck Christmas Market 2022
Innsbruck Christmas Market is located in the compact centre square under the Golden Roof. While another popular market lines the River Inn at Marktplatz.
Innsbruck Christmas Market dates: 15th November to 23rd December 2022.
Location: Old Town (Innenstadt) in front of the Golden Roof.
Opening hours: 11am to 9pm daily.
Reason to visit: Skiing in the city, the small city atmosphere, the beautiful mountain landscapes and the Panorama Christmas Market at the top of the mountain.
Recommended tour: Take the cable car to the top of the mountain. It’s the number 1 attraction in Innsbruck. Free cancellation is available if you decide not to go.
Specialities: The locally famous kiachln, a sauerkraut doughnut. Also known for its carousel and the modern Christmas market along Maria Theresien Straße.
Where to stay: Altstadthotel Weißes Kreuz is located steps to the Golden Roof and Old Town Christmas market.
Hotels near Innsbruck Christmas Market
Innsbruck is a safe, walkable city with most of the city’s sights located between the River Inn and the main train station.
This central district is known as Innenstadt and this is the area where you’ll most likely want to stay to be near the Christmas markets.
I suggest staying at Altstadthotel Weißes Kreuz as the Christmas market is literally at your door.
If that doesn’t suit you, my guide to hotels near Innsbruck Christmas Market lists several well-located hotels for all budgets.
Location of Innsbruck Christmas Market
Christmas Markets in Innsbruck
Innsbruck has at least seven Christmas markets in total. You’re sure to come across several as you explore the city.
- Old Town Christmas Market – 15th November to 23rd December 2022. The traditional main market in front of the Golden Roof.
- Maria Theresien Street Christmas Market – 25th November 2022 to 6th January 2023. A modern market with international stalls and products.
- Advent at the Market Square (Marktplatz) – 15th November to 23rd December 2022. A classic Tyrolean Christmas market located alongside the River Inn.
- Panorama Christmas Market in Hungerburg – 25th November 2022 to 6th January 2023 (1pm to 7pm). Take the funicular to this mountainside market.
- St Nikolaus District – 18th November to 23rd December 2022 (4pm to 9pm). A small advent market across the other side of the river on Hans-Brenner-Platz.
- Wilton Christmas Market – 23rd November to 22nd December 2022 (4pm to 8pm). A local market on Wiltener Platzl with organic mulled wine and sustainable specialities.
- Kaiserweihnacht (Emperor’s Christmas) at Bergisel – traditional Tyrolean artisan specialties.
The old town is of course the heart of Innsbruck and it’s where you’ll find many of the festivities and decorations. You’ll know you’ve reached the main market when you see the elaborate Golden Roof, the centrepiece of Innsbruck.
Spend time walking around the historic streets with the colourful pastel-coloured buildings and pretty fountains, statues and columns.
Just because you’re likely to be eating as you wander around the markets, save space each afternoon for coffee and cake; an especially delicious treat in traditional Innsbruck.
If you are planning to see more in the region, my guide to the Austria Christmas markets can help you with ideas and Christmas market dates in other cities.
Sustainable Travel Tips
The choices we make have an environmental and social impact on the places we visit. When visiting the Christmas markets, it’s important to keep sustainability in mind.
Implement some or all of these simple measures to create a positive impact.
- Shop mindfully. Only purchase what you really need.
- Walk, cycle and use public transport to get around.
- Stay in a sustainable hotel powered by renewable energy.
- Stay in hotels. Short-stay apartment accommodation can lead to a lack of affordable housing for locals.
- Avoid using plastic or buying items made or packaged with plastic.
- Try to eat locally sourced organic food where possible.
- Limit your consumption of meat and dairy.
- Be open to diverse cultures and experiences.
- Explore more than just the main tourist areas.
- Support the arts and attend local events.
- Visit fewer places but stay longer at each destination.
There are 7 Christmas markets in Innsbruck.
15th November to 23rd December 2022.
The main Christmas market is held in the Old Town under the Golden Roof. While another popular market lines the River Inn at Marktplatz
The Christmas market opens at 11am daily.
The Christmas market closes at 9pm daily.
For more information on visiting Innsbruck, Visit Austria is a great resource. Along with things to do in Innsbruck, you can discover Tirol and further destinations in Austria.
If you have any questions or comments about visiting the Innsbruck Xmas market in 2022 or Innsbruck at Christmas more generally, please leave a comment below.
Recommendations are independently chosen based on personal travel experiences and extensive research. This post contains affiliate links to hotels and tours in Innsbruck, Austria. This means I get a small commission from any bookings at no extra cost to you.
Leave a Reply